Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Six Weeks

It's been six weeks since my ACL surgery. Overall, I think I'm doing well with recovery. The physical therapist is happy with how straight my leg is when I extend it. It looks almost normal, he says. I have about 15 to 20 degrees left to gain in flexing my knee. The last time they measured it was at 125 degrees after a little warm up.

Today I had ultrasound treatment for the tendonitis. The physical therapist seemed skeptical about the doctor's explanation for the tendonitis. He said that they usually only see that injury in basketball players. He seemed to think that my tendon is more likely irritated by the incision scar tissue that formed. Whatever. The end result is tendonitis and I'm supposed to take it easy and lay off the lunges and step-ups. No big loss in the short run. In the long run, tendonitis is something that is easy to trigger once you've had it once. Kind of a bummer.

Yesterday the surgeon said I will be doing physical therapy twice a week for at least another month. Or did he say two months? One extra benefit to doing this physical therapy is that I should be in good shape for rollerblading pretty soon. Something I've been meaning to do for the last two summers.

Which reminds me. Several people have commented about how athletic or active I am. My friend who writes quarkscrew.org said this to me most recently. It's weird because I really don't feel like an active person. In fact, I feel pretty slothful. Left to my own devices, the most active thing I would do is brush my teeth with a manual toothbrush. Luckily for me I have an active husband who likes to ski. Wait -- that didn't work out for me so well this winter...

1 comment: